Who doesn't love some good mac and cheese? If you don't, you probably don't need to be on a food blog anyway. :) This is a recipe my mom made when I was growing up and she passed it on to me (such a good mommy). It will take a little more time and ingredients than what comes out of the blue box but it is soooo worth it! My sons eat this up like there's no tomorrow.
1 1/4 cups macaroni
3 Tbs butter
2 Tbs all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp mustard
1/4 tsp pepper
1 1/4 cups of milk
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (approximately)
1/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
1. Cook macaroni and drain. Set aside. Heat oven to 350.
2. Put butter in a large microwaveable dish (needs to be able to hold a few cups of liquid) and microwave for 30 seconds or until melted.
3. Stir in flour, salt, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and pepper.
4. Put milk in a microwaveable dish and microwave for 1 minute or until warm.
5. Gradually stir milk into the flour mixture. Microwave for 1 1/2 minutes, stir, then cook another 1 1/2 minutes. Stir. If its not smooth and thickening, microwave for another minute.
6. Add 1 1/2 cups of the cheese and stir until melted.
7. Combine the cheese mixture and the cooked macaroni noodles in a 1 1/2 - 2 qt casserole dish. Top with the remaining cheese and the bread crumbs.
8. Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes or until the cheese on top is melted.
*I usually use more cheese than this because...well, because we like cheese!