Hubby and I spent our 10 year anniversary in November in Honolulu (only affordable because hubby works for Delta!). On our last morning there we went to the breakfast buffet at Duke's right on Waikiki Beach. It was really good and my favorite thing was their Pina Colada bread pudding. I was determined to recreate the recipe once we were home. Took a couple months but I finally had the time to do it (happens when your ENTIRE STATE is closed because of snow and ice....). It was actually really easy to throw together and the boys ATE IT UP. Like, 3 helpings each ate it up. I'd call that a victory. My recipe will make a 9x13 sized dish. I also used lactose free milk so the hubby could finally have some bread pudding. Too bad he didn't get to enjoy it as he still hadn't made it home from the airport...
1/2 loaf of white bread, cubed (or whatever bread you want)
1 cup whole milk
3/4 cup cream of coconut
1 cup crushed and drained pineapple (save the juice)
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3 Tbs white sugar
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp coconut extract
1. Put the cubed bread on a cookie sheet and bake at about 300 degrees for 10 minutes or until a bit crispy and dry.
2. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Butter/grease a 9x13 casserole dish.
3. Mix eggs, milk, cream of coconut, brown sugar, white sugar, pineapple juice, vanilla, and coconut extract together in a large bowl.
4. Once you take your dried bread cubes out of the oven mix them with the crushed pineapple in the casserole dish.
5. Pour the egg mixture over the bread crumbs and push them down so most of it is covered. Let it sit for about 10 minutes. Dab the top with some butter.
6. Bake uncovered for about 30-35 minutes or until the top is getting golden brown.
*Yes, I know bread puddings are supposed to have a rum sauce but since it was just me and the boys I didn't make one.
*I'll be making the coconut rum sauce tomorrow and I'll try to remember to post that part of the recipe!
*The recipe can easily be doubled. :)