Why my "chaotic kitchen?" Have you ever tried to cook a meal with two small boys running around? Those Iron Chefs have nothing on me! Most of these recipes are pretty easy to prepare (I'm sorry but I'm not Julia Child) and hopefully are easy to follow. Enjoy your stay and I hope you find some recipes that your family will enjoy!

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Gingerbread Cookies!

Yes, I know, I know. Its after Christmas now and y'all probably aren't looking for a great gingerbread recipe at the moment. Sorry. With two kids the season gets a bit chaotic (more than usual!) and I just didn't have time to sit down and post this recipe. But, ta da! Here it is! Pin it or save it or whatever it is you prefer to do so you can find something later. I have never made gingerbread before. Honestly, I never even LIKED gingerbread. However, I really loved this recipe and I ate A LOT of these cookies! I'm thinking its because its not overly ginger-y? I don't know but its really good. I baked a batch of the big gingerbread men for my preschool class (they devoured them and if 3 year olds will eat them...) and another batch with all the different shapes to take to dinner on Christmas. This recipe WILL take some time to finish (and if you want to decorate them that will take even more time) but believe me, in the end, they are so worth it!




Ingredients

3 c flour
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 c butter, softened
3/4 c firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 c molasses
1 egg
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
cookie cutters

Directions

1. Mix flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
2. Beat butter and brown sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add molasses, egg, and vanilla; mix well.
3. Gradually beat in flour mixture (to butter/sugar mixture) on low speed until well mixed.
4. Press dough into a thick flat disk. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight!!
5. Heat oven to 350.
6. Roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness on lightly floured work surface.
7. Cut into shapes with cookie cutters.
8. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until edges of cookies are set and just begin to brown.
9. Cool on baking sheets 1 to 2 minutes.
10. Remove to wire racks; cool completely before frosting.

Can be stored in an airtight container for about 5 days.

*I did not come up with this recipe. I got it from my children's minister who used it for our Cookies with Santa day at church.
*The green frosting in the picture is from the store. The white and yellow is homemade buttercream. The rest of the decorations are from the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment